An oil based gym floor finish is a type of coating that is applied to the surface of a wood floor in order to protect it and make it more durable. This type of finish is made up of a mixture of oil and resin, which gives it its protective qualities. It is typically applied in two or three coats, with each coat taking around 24 hours to dry.
Once the final coat has been applied, the floor will need to be left for around 48 hours before it can be used.
If you have a gym, you know how important it is to keep the flooring in top condition. Not only does it need to be slip-resistant, but it also needs to be able to withstand heavy foot traffic. That’s why many gyms choose to use an oil-based gym floor finish.
Benefits of Oil Based Gym Floor Finish
Here’s a closer look at this type of finish and how it can benefit your gym –
[su_list icon=”icon: check-circle” icon_color=”#006400″ indent=”5″]
- Oil-based finishes are very durable and can withstand a lot of wear and tear. This makes them ideal for high traffic areas like gyms.
- They also provide excellent slip resistance, which is crucial in a gym setting.
- Another advantage of oil-based finishes is that they’re easy to maintain – simply reapply the finish every few months and you’re good to go! One downside of oil-based finishes is that they can be slippery when wet.
So, if your gym gets a lot of sweaty foot traffic, you may want to consider another type of finish. But overall, oil-based finishes are a great option for keeping your gym floor looking its best.
Oil-based Polyurethane Gym Floor Finish
Polyurethane oil based gym floor finishes are a great way to protect your investment and keep your floors looking new. Here are some things to consider when choosing a polyurethane oil based finish for your gym.
What Is The Thickness Of The Finish?
The thicker the finish, the more durable it will be. However, thicker finishes can also be more difficult to apply evenly.
How Long Does The Warranty Last?
Some polyurethane finishes come with extended warranties that cover wear and tear. This can be helpful if you have a high-traffic gym.
What Color Do You Want?
Polyurethane comes in a variety of colors, so you can choose something that coordinates with your décor.
Do You Want A Glossy Or Matte Finish?
Glossy finishes show dirt and smudges more easily, but they can also make floors look shiny and new.
Matte finishes don’t show imperfections as much, but they can make floors look duller over time.
What Finish Do They Use on Gym Floors?
There are a few different finishes that are commonly used on gym floors. The most common finish is a polyurethane finish. This type of finish will provide a durable, glossy surface that is easy to clean and maintain.
Another popular option is a wax finish. Waxes provide a more natural look and feel to the floor and can be easily buffed to a high shine.
Why are Gym Floors So Shiny?
Gym floors are shiny for two primary reasons. First, to create an aesthetic that is visually pleasing and inviting to gym-goers. Second, to protect the floor from wear-and-tear, stains, and other damage.
The high gloss finish of a gym floor not only looks great, but it also has a number of functional benefits. For one, it makes the floor much easier to clean since dirt and debris can simply be wiped away.
Additionally, the smooth surface helps protect against scuffs and scratches that could mar the appearance of the floor over time.
Of course, all this shine comes at a cost – namely, the need for regular maintenance in order to keep the floor looking its best.
However, many gym owners feel that the benefits of having a shiny gym floor outweigh the costs and time required to maintain it.
How Do I Polish My Gym Floor?
Assuming you would like tips on how to polish a gym floor –
[su_list icon=”icon: hand-o-right” icon_color=”#006400″ indent=”5″]
- First, sweep the floor to remove any debris that could scratch the surface as you polish.
- Next, mop the floor with a diluted all-purpose cleaner to remove any sweat or grime build-up.
- Once the floor is clean, apply a thin layer of gym floor finish using a lambswool applicator. Work in small sections and be sure to overlap your strokes to avoid missed spots.
- Allow the finish to dry for the recommended amount of time before buffing it with a high speed buffer equipped with a synthetic pad. Buffing helps to even out the sheen and create a smooth, glossy surface.
Can You Burnish a Gym Floor?
Yes, you can burnish a gym floor. The process is called “buffing” and it involves using a machine to sand the floor down. This removes the old finish and gives the floor a new, shiny surface.
How to Buff and Burnish a Floor – Video
An oil-based gym floor finish is a great option for high-traffic areas. It provides a durable, long-lasting finish that can withstand the rigors of daily use. Oil-based finishes are also easy to maintain and keep clean.