There are many ways to work your abs, and the AB Wheel is a great option. However, some people find it difficult to use or uncomfortable. If you’re looking for an alternative to the ab wheel, I have a few suggestions.
There are plenty of ways to get a great core workout without Ab Wheel. Some common examples are – Barbell Rollout, Ball Rollout, Dumbbells Rollout, TRX Roll Out, Planks, Dragon Flags, and more.
Here are some ab rollout alternatives I’m going to discuss below that will give you a killer six-pack.
What Muscles Do Wheel Rollouts Work?
Wheel rollouts are an excellent exercise for working your back, shoulders, and core muscles. They can be done with a barbell or dumbbell and are a great way to add some variety to your workout routine.
This exercise can be challenging at first, but once you get the hang of it you will be able to really feel those muscles working!
Effective Ab Wheel Rollout Alternatives – With Equipment
Here I cover some common Ab Wheel Rollout Alternative exercises that you can try at home or in the gym.
No. One popular alternative to the ab wheel rollout is the Barbell Rollout.
How to Do Barbell Rollout?
1. Start by loading a barbell with plates and positioning it on the ground in front of you. (Note: choose plate weight according to your capability).
2. Place your hands shoulder-width apart on the barbell and roll it forward until your arms are extended straight out in front of you.
3. Return to the starting position and repeat for reps. Try to repeat the process 8-10 times in 3/4 steps.
The ab wheel rollout is a great exercise for targeting the abdominal muscles, but it can be tough on the shoulders and lower back. If you’re looking for an easier alternative on the joints, try the stability ball rollout. You can get almost the same result as Ab Wheel Rollout doing this exercise.
How to Do Stability Ball Rollout?
1. Position a stability ball in front of you and place your hands on top of it.
2. Roll the ball forward until your arms are extended straight out in front of you and your body is in a straight line from head to knees.
3. Pause for a moment, then reverse the motion, roll the ball back to the starting position, and repeat for reps.
4. Try to Do 3-5 sets of 10-15 reps.
5. If this exercise is too difficult, try placing your knees on top of the stability ball instead of your feet.
Yes, you can do rollout with two dumbbells instead of AB Wheel Rollout. Sounds tough? Let’s see how you easily do that.
How to Do Dumbbells Rollout?
1. To do the rollout using dumbbells, start in the same kneeling position as other rollout exercises with one dumbbell in each hand and your palms facing down.
2. Roll both dumbbells out simultaneously until your arms are extended straight in front of you.
3. then return to the starting position by rolling them back towards your body simultaneously.
4. Try to Do 3-5 sets of 8-10 reps.
Rollout Using a Resistance band
Not a common exercise, but you can do it as an alternative to Ab Wheel Rolling. It’s my opinion, can be disagreed by other experts.
How to Do Resistance band Rollout?
1. Start by wrapping the band around something sturdy like a pole or table leg.
2. Step away from the object so that there is some tension on the band.
3. Then kneel down and place your palms on either side of the band at shoulder-width apart.
4. Slowly roll forward until your arms are extended straight out in front of you.
5. Then return to starting position by rolling backwards while still gripping onto the band.
6. Try to Do 3-5 sets of 10-12 reps.
TRX Roll Out
TRX Roll Out is another popular roll out exercise that meets your demand for Ab Wheel.
How to Do TRX Roll Out?
1. Take a kneeling position and gently grab the TRX strap handles with your two hands.
2. take a long breath and straighten your arm in front of you.
3. Stay in this extended arm position for 2 to 3 seconds.
4. Now breath out and get back in the first position.
5. Try to Do 3-5 sets of 8-10 reps.
Ab Wheel Rollout Alternatives – Without Equipment
Not always gym equipment is in front of us. Sometimes we need to do gym exercises at home too. Here I have discussed almost the same exercise as AB Wheel Rollout that you can do without any equipment.
Plank is a very common and effective exercise and it has many versions. But I talked about only the most common one here.
How to Do Plank?
1. First, you need to take a kneeling position like almost lying on the bed.
2. Place your elbows on the ground directly under your shoulder. Keep the elbows vertically aligned.
3. Relax your body and down your shoulder towards your back.
4. Focus your eyes on your hands.
5. Now pull up your hip and keep your back straight like a line.
6. Stay in this position until you feel any pain or sagging in the back parts.
7. You can also do the plank by pulling up your knees from the ground. That is heavy and more recommended.
It’s probably the most challenging exercise we discussed here, but it is very effective as an alternative to AB Wheel Rollout. Let’s see how you do that. You can do this exercise on a bench or a floor.
How to Do Dragon Flags?
1. Lay down on the bench or floor straight.
2. Grab the bench behind your head firmly.
3. Now raise your legs simultaneously over your head and then slowly put them down on the floor.
4. Try to Do 3 sets of 10-15 reps.
If you don’t have access to the dumbbell or barbell, Towel Rollout is a great option for you to get the benefits of AB Wheel Rollout. Feeling curious to know how to do it? Let’s see.
How to Do Towel Rollout?
1. First of all, you only need a towel to do the workout.
2. Take the position as you do for AB Wheel Rollout.
3. Now grab the towel by both hands side by side just like you grab an AB Wheel.
4. Then slowly slide forward your body. Make sure your abs are engaging properly.
5. Stay in this position for 2 to 3 seconds.
6. Now reverse the body back to starting position.
7. repeat the process 8-10 times in 3 steps.
Ab Wheel Modification
An ab wheel is a great way to work your core, but did you know that there are ways to modify the exercise to make it even more effective? Here are three ab wheel modifications that will help you get even better results:
Instead of gripping the ab wheel with your hands shoulder-width apart, move them in closer so that they’re only about 6 inches apart.
This narrower grip will force your muscles to work harder as they stabilize your body during the exercise.
Slow and Controlled
When performing the ab wheel rollout, go slowly and controlled way instead of trying to move as fast as possible. This will help you better engage your abdominal muscles and avoid using momentum to complete the movement.
If you want an extra challenge, try holding a weight plate or dumbbell in each hand while you perform the rollout. This added resistance will really test your core strength!
Swiss Ball Rollout Vs Ab Wheel
When it comes to choosing between a Swiss ball rollout and an ab wheel, there are a few things you need to take into account.
First, consider what your fitness goals are. If you’re looking to build core strength and improve your balance, then the Swiss ball is a great choice.
However, if you’re trying to tone your abs and get rid of love handles, then the ab wheel is the better option.
Are Ab Wheels Actually Effective?
Ab wheels, also called ab rollers, are devices that you can use to work your abdominal muscles. They consist of a wheel with handles on either side. You kneel on the floor and hold the handles, then roll the wheel forward so that your body moves forward too.
Are ab wheels effective? The short answer is ”YES”.
Ab wheels are effective at working your abdominal muscles. However, they’re not necessarily the best choice for everyone.
Here’s a closer look at why ab wheels might be a good option for you, as well as some potential drawbacks to keep in mind.
Benefits of AB Wheels
One of the biggest advantages of using an ab roller is that it allows you to target your abs with greater precision than other exercises.
For example, when you do a sit-up, other muscles such as your hip flexors and lower back are also engaged. With an ab roller, however, your abs have to work harder to stabilize your body as you move forward and backward. This makes it an ideal exercise for people who want to specifically target their abdominal muscles.
Another benefit of using an ab roller is that it’s relatively low-impact compared to other exercises such as crunches or sit-ups. This means it’s easier on your joints and less likely to cause pain or injury.
Additionally, because you’re moving in a controlled manner (unlike with many other exercises), there’s also less chance of straining something or losing balance and falling over.
Potential Drawbacks of Ab Wheels
Although there are many benefits to using an ab roller, there are also some potential drawbacks that you should be aware of before deciding if this exercise tool is right for you.
One thing to keep in mind is that although the rolling motion itself is low-impact, getting up and down off the floor can put strain on your knees and hips – especially if you have any existing joint issues .
Another potential drawback is that because this exercise does specifically target your abs , doing it too often could lead to muscle imbalances.
If all you’re doing is crunches or sit-ups , chances are good that your front side will become stronger than your backside . To avoid this problem , make sure to include other exercises in your routine that target different muscle groups .
So, you can check out these exercises if you are looking for an alternative to the ab wheel rollout! The ab wheel rollout is a great way to work your abs, but it’s not the only way.
All of The exercises I mentioned above are great alternatives to the ab wheel rollout and benefited for your abs and back.
Give it a try!